With the release of the film Monuments Men and ISIS’ attacks on culture in Iraq and Syria, this article discusses why conflict attacks art and antiquities. Titled “Why Hitler Stole Art: Monuments, Quests for Power, and the Market for Stolen Antiquities,” I explore the current antiquities market and how it behaves in a similar manner to dictators in the past that exploited regions in conflict for their cultural heritage.
- Fellowship at the British School at Rome August 23, 2017
- National Geographic documentary August 14, 2017
- Battle of the Egadi Islands fieldwork August 1, 2017
- Teaching at the Bloomsbury Summer School at UCL July 24, 2017
- Honor Frost Foundation grant to study paleomagnetism June 15, 2017