With the release of the film Monuments Men and ISIS’ attacks on culture in Iraq and Syria, this article discusses why conflict attacks art and antiquities. Titled “Why Hitler Stole Art: Monuments, Quests for Power, and the Market for Stolen Antiquities,” I explore the current antiquities market and how it behaves in a similar manner to dictators in the past that exploited regions in conflict for their cultural heritage.
- One year at the Guardian: The end of the Past and the Curious August 29, 2018
- JS Morrison Grant at the British School at Athens August 21, 2018
- 2018 Fieldwork at the Battle of the Egadi Islands July 15, 2018
- ICOM Palmyra Lecture in Vienna June 15, 2018
- Entangled Sea Conference June 12, 2018